Re: question re: removing all traces of Windows ME OS

> It seem to me that "as much as possible" is the operative phrase here.
> I've been using linux for over five years, debian for the last four, but
> I still retain a minimal windows install.
>
> First, because some commercial entities I (and maybe you) deal with will
> not provide 'standards based' access. A case in point is my ISP, which
> (in my mind) provides superior service, but also provided a CD that
> required windows to set up the service.  Once I was registered with the
> ISP, I could access it from linux.  Another is my bank, which, although
> windows centric, provides services that I _will not_ do without.
>
> The second reason is hardware support. This may not be relevant to your
> laptop, but what will you plug into it? Debian, with discover,
> read-edid, udev, hal and related software is much better at providing
> out of the box hardware support these days. Still, the fact is that
> hardware manufacturers build with windows in mind. Sometimes simply
> being able to boot to windows and install the windows drivers will
> provide you with the info you need to make the hardware work under
> linux.
>
> So, with the above two points in mind, I would recommend that you
> repartition your hard disk with as little as you can applied to windows
> with basic internet access in mind (4 gig should be enough, I would
> think), reinstall a minimal ME, and then install debian sarge.
>
> A basic rule of life is never burn bridges behind you. Retreat is often
> a tactical necessity.

This is true but it is rather annoying to have to re-boot into windows
to do simple things like banking or dial into your office.  My
solution to the same problem is to utilize Win4Lin (commercial but it
saves me time).   It allows me to do the minimal things I need to do
for work and banking quite easily.  Also allows me to run Rhapsody
music service.  Even supports my VPN client (nortel) and PC Anywhere.
 I would suggest having a look at that.

--Jeff