Re: question re: removing all traces of Windows ME OS

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:10:25 +0200, Andrea Vettorello wrote:

> [...]

Hi,

Follow Andrea's advice; it's good.

My experience:

I recently installed Debian (sarge) on my multi-boot. I downloaded a 113
MiB image named sarge-i386-netinst.iso from here:
http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/i386/rc1/ and I
put it on a CD-Rom. I booted from CD-Rom and let it run the installation
setup. This put a minimal installation on the hard-drive following the
partitioning and formatting steps that Andrea has already mentioned. That
partitioning effectively takes care of any remnants of your MS system,
particularly as the original partion will be trashed and replaced by
several new ones - mine put in /root /home /tmp /var /dev/shm and /usr all
on different partitions. I understand that the theory behind this is that
if my kernel goes into a panic I should be able to restitute the system
without having to touch my other partitions (maybe).

In my case I had a router connected to my computer which was immediately
detected by the installer, on reboot, which simplified the rest of the
installation, as all I had to do was choose what kind of setup I wanted.
Took quite a while to finish the installation but I have found it to be
unbeatable regarding freeze-ups etc. I can imagine that other users, with
different hardware from mine, might prefer to use Woody, but I felt that I
needed as much compatibility as possible.

I'm very happy with sarge, for now, but if I were you I'd check carfully
to see which build and version is appropriate for the hardware on your
laptop.

Good luck

Agustin