Re: making tk and wx(python) prettier

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 10:23:43AM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I think I'm like most people in that, when I run "straight" x programs
> (for me this includds xpdf, acroread, and little scripts I've written
> or downloaded using Tk or wxPython) the output is aesthetically
> pretty unpleasing.  THis doesn't really bother me, but I noticed when
> downoading one wxPython utility that the screenshots from MacOSX were
> gorgeous, while the program, when it ran on my Xfce4 desktop, was
> actually pretty hard to read on the screen.  So I wondered whether I
> can set default display fonts and other settings to improve the look
> of these programs.  Anyone know whether I'm asking the impossible?

If you're talking Xt programs, X resources might be what you want.  Make
a file ~/.Xdefaults, and put your customizations in it.

Here's an example:

# Update once a second
XClock*update: 1
# Don't steal focus
XClock.input: false
# Use a white background
XClock*background: white
# For -digital, use a very big font
XClock*font: -adobe-courier-bold-r-normal--24-*-100-100-m-*-iso8859-1
# Beep every half hour
XClock*chime: true
# Be in the bottom left corner of the screen
XClock*geometry: 154x154+0-0

As for specifics, you might try:

*font: -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--28-*-100-100-*-*-iso8859-1

or the like.

man 7 X

man <Xprogram>

Xprogram & editres

may be useful.

Note that X resources are not respected by all programs.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER