Re: Why Grub? Must I Switch?

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 10:58:07 -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:

>> - You don't have to rerun grub every time you changed the config file
>
> Except that you do, unless you believe in symlinks for your kernels..

Except that you don't, as I don't use symlinks for my kernels.

>> - Grub understands file systems
>
> Which is unimportant for 99.9% of users.

Which is unimportant.

>> - Grub has an interactive shell, so that if you do foul up the
>
> Which is unimportant for 99.9% of users.

Which is unimportant.

>>  The interactive shell can also let you fix boot paramters on the fly, if
>
> Which is unimportant for 99.9% of users.

Which is unimportant.

> For the clueless, there is no significant difference between lilo and grub.

For the clueless or simply forgetful, the demonstrated ability of GRUB to
automatically handle updated configuration files is compelling by itself.

> The default was changed to grub to satisfy the 'leet, not the clueless.

Only the clueless could made a claim like that.  Are you also one of those
"ALSA never works for anybody" ranters?

> Fortunately it's one thing that you can change back, after installing.

This is indeed quite fortunate.