apache2: index.php sent unprocessed when accessed indirectly from one location

I setup apache2 from testing on one machine. My problem is that for one
user in a specific directory, if I place an index.php in that directory
it is being sent unprocessed to the caller as a .phtml file. The exact
same code anywhere else (other directories/other users) is processed
fine as php and sent as html.

This only happens when accessed indirectly from apache's index
searching mechanism. When named directly it works fine.

Any ideas?