Re: Lost printing from OpenOffice; spadmin doesn't add printer

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:20:13 +0200, Uwe Dippel wrote:

> I found it impossible to generate a new printer with spadmin.
> Though I'm running from su, "New Printer ..." only offers fax and PDF; the upper
> "Add a Printer" is greyed out; just as the lower "Import printers ...".

> System-wise, lprng is doing a good job; I can use lpr without any trouble.

> I never installed CUPS:

And this turned out to be the problem. It only creeps up when you use any
other printing system.

With the help of some kind OpenOffice.org people I could finally solve it.
The problem sneaked into (Debian)OpenOffice some time ago with a backport:

Now OO thinks you have CUPS installed, when it finds libcups (I guess
almost everyone has it as dependency of Gnome, KDE !).
And whenever it so thinks, it will grey out the fields, so that the user
is forced to set printing with CUPS.
Difficult to do, though, if there is no CUPS !

Workaround:

Uncomment the (last) line in /etc/openoffice/openoffice.conf:

export SAL_DISABLE_CUPS=1

And then use oopadmin (spadmin won't work !) to add your new printer(s).
Works flawlessly here.

FYI, Uwe