Re: Using mplayer save RealMedia audio in a sensible format?

Adam Funk wrote:
On Thursday 30 September 2004 19:50, Adam Funk wrote:

Sorry: I'm sure I've most of the man mplayer page a few times and I
still can't figure out how to do this.  I want to convert a RealPlayer
URL stream into a file in some sensible (e.g. WAV, Ogg, MP3) audio
format.

I started with this:
 mplayer -dumpfile foo.wav -dumpstream rtsp://....ra
but foo.wav turned out to be a RealMedia file.

Since posting this, I found the answer.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20040508124642.1144B16A50E_hub.freebsd.org%40ns.sol.net
Scroll down to message 5.
"mplayer file.ra -ao pcm" also works as "mplayer -ao pcm rstp://....ra"
and produces a WAV file, audiodump.wav.  (I think I had tried the -ao
pcm option in combination with -dumpstream.)

I'm still curious, however.  Why does mplayer record to a RealAudio
file, which is not a useful format?

It is not recording to anything, it is recording bit for bit the input stream. Which can be useful for either diagnostic purposes[is mplayer having problems with the rstp protocol or the realplayer codec?], or because converting to a lossless format would take up too much room[in my experience -ao pcm can generate very large wav files[10x-20x the original]] and converting to another lossy format is undesired due to inherent degradation.