Re: Using mplayer save RealMedia audio in a sensible format?

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 03:01:37PM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:

> > Sorry: I'm sure I've most of the man mplayer page a few times and I
> > still can't figure out how to do this.  I want to convert a RealPlayer
> > URL stream into a file in some sensible (e.g. WAV, Ogg, MP3) audio
> > format.
> >
> > I started with this:
> >   mplayer -dumpfile foo.wav -dumpstream rtsp://....ra
> > but foo.wav turned out to be a RealMedia file.
> >
> > I've also tried various combinations of -ao and -format options, but the
> > output file always ends up the same.  I'd appreciate it if anyone could
> > tell me what I'm missing.

[snip]

> recently I wanted to timeshift the new HHG realaudio stream. after
> googling, I found VSOUND.
> app->VSOUND->/dev/dsp
> at least for audio, this works.

Doesn't work with ALSA, though.

I found this incantation at grimthing.com (which currently appears to
be down):

mplayer -ao pcm -aofile capfilename.wav -vo null -vc dummy rtsp://realname.rm

If you're using a playlist file (e.g. a .ram file) invoke with
"-playlist URL" or "-playlist path/file" instead of just a bare URL
or filename at the end of that line.

I've used this to capture both RealAudio streams (Fresh Air) and the
audio portion of RealVideo streams (BookTV.org).
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading