RE: Newbie trying to install Soundcard on Debian Linux

-----Original Message-----
From: Marion Hall [mailto:hallm@1satcom.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 8:42 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: Newbie trying to install Soundcard on Debian Linux

-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Andreas Janssen
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 12:14 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Hello

Marion Hall (<hallm@1satcom.com>) wrote:

> When I run modprobe es1371 : It gives me the error Can't locate module
> es1371.  How do I install that module?

What does uname -r say? Maybe the kernel you use (2.2.20-idepci?) does
not have the driver. In that case install another one.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976
http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps.html

The kernel was 2.2.20-idepci.  I didn't realize that Debian defaulted to
that during the install.

I upgraded the kernel to 2.4.18.  Now when I run modprobe es1371 it doesn't
give any errors.  I added alias sound-slot-0 es1371 to the
/etc/modutils/local and ran update-modules.

How can I test the audio to see if its working?  Are there any command line
test that will tell me that the driver is working?

Ignore this request, I just realized that sound is coming from my speakers,
the volume is just real low.  I've got the speaker volume maxed out.  How to
I adjust the volume for a OSS device within linux?

http://www.nod32.com