Re: UTF-8 locale, strange chars in X terminal pager(s), specifically man pages

On Thursday 30 Sep 2004 09:39:50 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> In an UTF-8 sequence, you shouldn't have a ^P; this is strange.
> Now, Debian doesn't use the non-ASCII hyphen to make searching in
> man pages easier (see /etc/groff/man.local). So, this seems to be
> a bug in the procmailrc page (or perhaps the non-ASCII hyphen is
> normal in this special context).
>
> On my machine, I don't see any problem, perhaps because I have
> uncommented the last two lines of
>
> .  \" Many UTF-8 man pages use "-" instead of "\-" for dashes such as those
> .  \" in command-line options. This is a bug in those pages, but if you want
> .  \" all hyphens to be rendered as the ASCII-compatible HYPHEN-MINUS
> .  \" anyway, then uncomment this.
> .  \" if '\*[.T]'utf8' \
> .  \"   char - \N'45'

After uncommenting the above last two lines in both /etc/groff/man.local
and /etc/groff/mdoc.local, I still get the strange characters, which appear
not to be limited to the hyphen issue.  "Man netstat," for example, at the
very top of the page:

        Linux Programmerâ@~^Ys Manual

in aterm as well as uxterm.  My /etc/app-defaults/XTerm has the same font
config lines as yours.  Again, this is in *any* pager and with many man
pages that I have tested.

Another solution which someone was kind enough to send me was to set LC_ALL
to "C" before every invocation of "man", which works, but seems kludgy.  I
suppose if man is ultimately incapable of handling a utf-8 locale then that
may have to be the solution (?).   (BTW, in my locale output the only var
unset is LC_ALL -- all the others are set to en_US.UTF-8)

Cheers,

Fred Henry, Jr.