Re: opera and java

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:03:26AM -0400, Christopher Judd wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
>      I was wondering how to use opera with java.  When starting opera
> with the -debugjava option, I get the following message:
>
> opera: [java] There seems to be a preloaded version of Xt.
>        There is a workaround for this problem in the opera
>        startup script.  If that workaround fails, opera will
>        most likely crash every time it tries to use Java.
>        The workaround seems to have failed.  Java will be disabled.
>        Technical explanation:
>        There is a problem with the order of loading Xt and
>        Java.  If Xt is loaded before libawt (part of Java),
>        Java will crash when it tries to access the screen.
>        The workaround is based on using LD_PRELOAD to load
>        libawt.so first.
>
> opera: [java] Disabling java due to potential problems. If you know
>        what you are doing, you can set the environment variable
>        OPERA_FORCE_JAVA_ENABLED to '1' to override this.
>        The actual problems should be described above.
>
> Is there any way to make opera work properly with java in Debian
> (sarge)?

It works for me.  Here using opera-static 7.53 and blackdown j2re 1.4
Have used opera 6.x and earlier j2re packages.

It would seem that the opera startup script is not finding your libawt.
I think in an earlier version (6.something) I edited the script to
include my java path because it just wasn't finding it. You can look at
/usr/bin/opera (just a shell script) to see what is going on.

Alternately, you can set the Javapath in /etc/opera6rc. Something like:
    ; Put any default settings here that are overridable by users

    [User Prefs]
    Javapath=/usr/lib/j2se/1.3/jre/lib/i386/
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This should be where libawt.so is located.

Also the opera web page has some troubleshooting info for java:

http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?name=java&maxhits=15&platform=linux

HTH

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.