Re: xscreensaver

Tom Allison wrote:
Blake Swadling wrote:

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 11:25, Tom Allison wrote:

How can I configure xscreensaver to automatically load for every user of X window on my workstations?

See the thread in the archives titled "bash profile does not get loaded"
and substitute xscreensaver for profile.

create a file called

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xfree86-common_xscreensaver

and in it put the command line that you want to use for xsreensaver like

xscreensaver &

the number at the start of the name dictates the order in which the
scripts get run (99 will get run after everything else), the
xfree86-common bit means it gets run for all WMs (i think) and the bit
after the underscore can be whatever you like (hopefully describes what
the script does :)).

Almost helps...

I created a script:
nice /usr/bin/xscreensaver
echo date > /tmp/screensaver

and there is no file /tmp/screensaver so it's not being executed.
permissions:
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 56 2004-09-29 06:38 99xfree86-common_xscreensaver

Got it working.

Needed to change to file name from '99' to '98'
change the string to:
nice /usr/bin/xscreensaver -no-splash &
and it's working well now.

BTW, the '&' is really important.