Re: Linux Installation with SCSI Drive

On Sunday 26 September 2004 23:26, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> Ronald wrote:
> > I often try out (installing) Linux distributions, so
> > this is an I/O intensive operation (writing to the drive).

<snip>

> I was wondering the same and was about to post a similar message to the
> list. I feel as if my up-to-date Debian  box (P4 3GHZ / Intel 875PBZ / 1
> GIG RAM / WD ATA 133 Caviar SE) is somehow baing held back bit its on
> board controller and PATA hard disk, even though I have this disk
> optimized via hdparm. I feel the system to be jerky/slugish when opening
> up multiple applications at a time and when copying files. I was also
> hoping for fatser boot times via a SCSI system but always read
> conflicting reports regarding the pros of scsi on the desktop.

I don't recommend SCSI, really, and I am a (shame faced) SCSI fetishist.

Yes, it is a little faster, and if the whole system is SCSI, it will be more
responsive.  You would be better off with perhaps SCSI DVD / CD recorder and
SATA disks.  That's a good combo.  Unless you have money to burn.

No, it isn't worth it on a home system.  I *happened* to luck out buying used
stuff.  This has not been the case in the past - bad IBM ServRAID, flaky AMI
MegaRAID, bad cables, etc.

LVD cables and terminators are not that cheap either.

You might want to check some bonnie++ benchmarks I did this week with some
scsi drives and a couple of different controllers:

http://www.it.kpt.cc/~tpk/res.html

The results show that really even with RAID5 (software), you aren't getting
much more throughput than with a single drive; probably not until you have 5
or 6 drives in there are you going to see it really scream. Do you want to
buy a 600w power supply too? :) Unless you go RAID0, which most likely
insane, depending on your needs.

The IBM udma100 drive also compares quite favorably with the Quantum Atlas,
really.  Though I must say the Quantums feel a lot faster in practice than
bonnie suggests.

--