Re: partition second hard drive

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Stefan O'Rear wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 12:01:01PM -0400, dougpol1@adelphia.net wrote:
> > 	My question is How do I reformat my second hard
> > drive that is presently Fat 32 windows so that Linux can
> > use it for backup. I tried cfdisk but linux cannot see the

most likely your windoze disk is the entire disk and not partitioned ??

you can see what it is partitioned as  ( assuming it is /dev/hdb )

	fdisk -l /dev/hdb

if your system disk is /dev/hda ... your backup disk should be /dev/hdc
	- if oyu have a cd ... put that on a separate $10 ide controller

	( 1 disk per ide cable if speed performance is important )

you can simply change the partition type

	# fdisk /dev/hdb

	t 1 82
	( change the partition type on partition 1 to type 82 (linux)

	( save it )

	# mke2fs -j /dev/hdb1
	( format it )

	# mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/Backup
	( it should now be your backup disks for all your mpegs

c ya
alvin