Re: partition second hard drive

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 12:01:01PM -0400, dougpol1@adelphia.net wrote:
> Hello all,
> 	I had a dual boot system with Windows and Linux
> installed. Bought a new cd writer and found out I had to
> upgrade win 98 to SE to use new software for writer. SE
> costs more than the writer did. Nuts to microsoft.
> 	Took Windows out and installed Debian Sarge with
> the new installer. I really am happy with it.
> 	My question is How do I reformat my second hard
> drive that is presently Fat 32 windows so that Linux can
> use it for backup. I tried cfdisk but linux cannot see the
> drive. I have a Maxtor cd for the drive, which is Maxtor,
> but there is no Linux formating available on it. I sent
> them an e-mail asking why not.
> 	Thanks in advance for any help.
> 				Doug

Linux can use fat32.  If cfdisk cannot see the disk, it is because Linux
can't.  Do you have the right modules loaded for your second disk?

Open a terminal and type /sbin/lsmod to see what modules are loaded.

What kind of disk is it?

What does the 'dmesg' command say?  Please include all output.

Excerpts from mine:

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER