Re: udev, ide-scsi and cdrom drive

Chris(debian@chrissearle.org) is reported to have said:

> Under 2.4 kernel I was using append="ide-scsi=hdc" in lilo and using
> scsi emulation for xcdroast/grip/etc etc.
>
> Now in 2.6 with udev - the cdrom turns up as /dev/sr6 - and mount
> won't read it. No hdc is present in /dev.
>
> I've read a little - and it seems that ide-scsi is no longer
> recommended - I'm not bothered over whether I use it or not so long as
> xcdroast, grip and normal mounting of iso9660 disks works (doesn't
> grip need a scsi-generic device?).
>
> So - either - how to get ide-scsi to work or - how to remove ide-scsi
> safely? Anyone with a working config on this one?
>
> It would be nice if it turned up in /dev linked both as /dev/cdrom and
> /dev/dvd - but that can probably be handled from udev rules.

Have you tried letting cdrecord find your cdrom?

cdrecord dev=help  will give you some clues.

%uname -a
Linux buddy 2.6.7 #1 Tue Aug 31 18:32:48 EDT 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

Here is what works here:

cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W1210A' '1.08' Removable CD-ROM
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
        1,1,0   101) 'CD-ROM  ' 'Drive/F5E       ' '0.27' Removable CD-ROM
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

VT1 root-3-Buddy:~# cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

scsidev: 'ATAPI'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W1210A' '1.08' Removable CD-ROM
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
        0,1,0     1) 'CD-ROM  ' 'Drive/F5E       ' '0.27' Removable CD-ROM
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

With the following in the kernel config

VT2 root-3-Buddy:~# zgrep CD /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD=y
CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD_BUFFERS=8
# CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD_WCACHE is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
# Some SCSI devices (e.g. CD jukebox) support multiple LUNs
# Old CD-ROM drivers (not SCSI, not IDE)
# CONFIG_CD_NO_IDESCSI is not set
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=m
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=m
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD=m
# CONFIG_USB_LCD is not set
# CD-ROM/DVD Filesystems

HTH

Wayne
--
Real software engineers don't debug programs, they verify correctness.
This process doesn't necessarily involve execution of anything on a