Re: sharing a printer with windows

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 08:38:25PM -0300, Andr? Carezia wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:17:28 -0700
> Christian Benito <chbenito@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have small network, two windows 2000 boxes and a debian box.  The
> > two windows machines share a laser printer that is attached to one of
> > them. I'd like to be able to print from the debian machine too. Can
> > anybody give me a pointer on how to get that working?
> You can install some packages on Debian machine:
>  apt-get install cupsys cupsys-bsd \
>                          cupsomatic-ppd smbclient

You should also get all the foomatic stuff, it includes all the printer
drivers and can save a lot of headache.

> and then create a connection to the printer using "lpadmin" or a web
> browser (choose SMB printing):
>  http://localhost:631/

Or get the gnome-cups-manager or the kde equivalent (I thing that there
is one).

You may need to use a real user on the windows machine, I have heard
that there is sometimes trouble trying to print as guest (haven't
managed to do it at uni yet, but haven't tried to see if a real user
will solve the problem either).

You may need to set the workgroup properly, but I'm not sure.