Re: Woody Sendmail: blacklist_recipients feature not working

From: Oliver Fuchs <oliverfuchs@onlinehome.de>
To: roy hills <royhills@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Woody Sendmail: blacklist_recipients feature not working
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 06:16:56 +0200

Did you rebuilt the sendmail.cf file?
Did you restart sendmail?

Yes, I re-ran sendmailconfig after making the change to the sendmail.mc file, and
I ran "makemap" to update the access.db after changing the access file.

> And my access file contains:
>
> 127.0.0.1                               RELAY
> 192.168.124                             RELAY
> 192.168.120                             RELAY
> somestrangeuser@                        REJECT
> strangeperson@hotmail.com               REJECT
> To:root@                                REJECT

Why did you use "To:root@"? Should it not be "root@"?

You can use the tags "To:", "From:" or "Connect:" on the LHS of the access map to limit the matching to envelope rcpt, envelope from or connection info. See:
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/chk-89-1.html
This is also covered in the latest bat book I think.

Anyway, I get the same problem even if I don't use the "To:" tag. For example, if access contains:

127.0.0.1       RELAY
192.168.124     RELAY
192.168.120     RELAY
root@           REJECT

Then, after running makemap, I get:

# Connect to SMTP port
rsh@vmware-host:~$ telnet 192.168.124.1 25
Trying 192.168.124.1...
Connected to 192.168.124.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mercury ESMTP Ready
HELO sailor
250 mercury.nta-monitor.com Hello vmware-host.demo.nta-monitor.com [172.16.3.254], pleased to meet you

# root sender is correctly blocked
MAIL FROM: <root@hotmail.com>
550 5.7.1 <root@hotmail.com>... Access denied
RSET
250 2.0.0 Reset state

# ... but root recipient is not blocked
MAIL FROM: <royhills@hotmail.com>
250 2.1.0 <royhills@hotmail.com>... Sender ok
RCPT TO: <root@nta-monitor.com>
250 2.1.5 <root@nta-monitor.com>... Recipient ok

QUIT
221 2.0.0 mercury.nta-monitor.com closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

Oliver

Roy

Use MSN Messenger to send music and pics to your friends http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger