Re: Problems with kernel upgrade

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 11:46:08PM +0500, Asim Jamshed wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just installed Debian Linux on my PC. This is my first experience
> with Linux. Understandably, I faced a lot of problems . I had
> downloaded the ISO images of debian v3 release 2 which comes on 7
> CDs(Woody). On installation, by default, the kernel installed was
> version 2.2. I
> tried to upgrade it to v2.4 using dselect. The system asked me to
> insert CD 3 of the Debian distribution. On inserting the right CD, it
> again prompted the same inquiry. The CD 3 reads fine as I've already
> tested it out. Apparently, the sources.list file has all the labels of
> the CDs. Can you kindly tell what might the problem be?

1. IIRC you can have the installer install a 2.4 by typing linux24 instead
of linux at the boot: prompt.

2. If you have DSL or cable, I very highly recommend you change your
   /etc/apt/sources.list to refer to ftp.us.debian.org rather than your
   CDROM drive. It's probably faster, you get security updates, and you
   can't lose the CDs.

3. Debian v3 release 2 is extremely obsolete.  Download the 10MB Sarge
   netinst image, burn it to CD, and install Sarge.

   If you have high speed internet, do NOT download the full (700MB)
   images or the DVD (4GB / 8GB) images.  The netinst image will
   download only the packages you need.

   Note: Debian 'sarge' is not officially released yet.  When a debian
         version is released, it is no longer changed, and it gets the
	 name 'stable'. You can upgrate to 'sid' after the install, you
	 will get all the latest packages, you can upgrade them easily,
	 and they may occasionally break.

Here is my net-based sources.list:

deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main

deb ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ stable main

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

You can also change this with /sbin/base-config IIRC.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER