Re: Help with rsyncd...?

On Thursday 23 September 2004 16:49, Stephen Tait wrote:
> At 16:03 23/09/2004, you wrote:
> >I've been trying to set up some method of using rsync, which will
> >eventually be deployed to copy company data from one office to the other
> >(it's a one way job, so I don't need unison) and have so far had no luck
> Yarg, scratch that. I didn't realise it was possible to do rsyncing without
> a server running (I found this out after I got the server running, damned
> typo in my conf file), got it all running over keyed SSH now - sorry for
> the nonsense message!

Nevertheless, you can easily run an rsync daemon.  Debian sets it up
automatically for you - you just have to change the RSYNC_ENABLE tag
in /etc/default/rsync

You also need an /etc/rsyncd.conf file, but these are exceptionally easy to
create - here is mine - as you can see to provide remote access to backup
areas. (Note also the unsafe uid change is access to the [roo] backup areas)

I have even set it up as a service on windows 2000 using cygwin - so I can
access this machine for backup.

# $Log: rsyncd.conf,v $
# Revision 1.4  2002/09/27 22:17:50  alan
# Reverting to 1.2
#       27 Jul  2004    AKC     Added piglet and eeyore backup areas
#

syslog facility = daemon
uid = backup
gid = backup
hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/24
hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
timeout = 600
read only = false

[rabbit]

path = /bak/rabbit
comment = work computer (rabbit) backup area

[pooh]

path = /bak/pooh
comment = pooh backup area

[piglet]