Via CLE266 Graphics

I recently purchased a laptop which has, according to the label:

  "Embedded Castle Rock GFX in CLE266, SMA, 64MB Max"

or, according to lspci:

"VGA compatable controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8623 [Apollo CLE266] integrated CastleRock graphics (rec 03)"

I've got it working with XFree86 with the 'vesa' driver, but would like to get it going with a more specific driver so I can use 'xv' (I would like to be able to hook it up to a projector and run full screen video from it).

I've seen binary drivers from VIA which might work with his board, the description isn't very clear, but I haven't managed to get them working under Debian Testing.

Does anyone know how I can get accelerated X with this board? Free drivers would be best, but instructions on making Via's closed source drivers working under Debian Testing would still be good.

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>