Re: Stop PPP connection question

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 08:44:37AM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> Tks for your advice.
>
> > > In my case
> > >
> > > $ ps -f -C pppd
> > > UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME
> > CMD
> > > root       602     1  0 15:02 ?        00:00:00
> > pppd
> > > call dsl-provider
> >
> > Sounds like a typo -
>
> typo = typographical error ???
Yes.

> > if you have dsl-provider in
> > your /proc, it should
> > be:
> >
> > poff dsl-provider
> >
> > NOT:
> >
> > poff ds-provider

> # ls /proc | grep dsl-provider
> # ls /proc | grep ds-provider
> # ls /proc | grep pon
> # ls /proc | grep poff
Doesn't work like that.  /proc is where the ps info is stored. It is
stored in a fairly special format.

Replace 'ls /proc' with 'ps -elf'.

cat /proc/*/cmdline shows all cmdlines, for instance.

> # ls /etc/ppp/peers/
> dsl-provider
>
> I suppose the correct command to stop broadband
> connection is;
>
> # pon dsl-provider
Why would pon (Start a connection) stop one?

Don't you mean:
# poff dsl-provider

> /usr/bin/poff: I could not find a pppd process for
> provider 'ds-provider'. None      stopped.
            ^^^^^^^^^^^
If you use DS, that's fine. But I think you use DS*L*, not DS.

> But it complained, ifconfig showing broadband still
> connected
>
> However running
> # poff
>
> No complaint and ifconfig showed broadband
> disconnected.
Great!  That is how you are supposed to do it.

> I'm installing new Debian, running there
>
> # poff dsl-provider
> Stop broadband connection without complaint.
>
> running
> # poff
> can't stop broadbank connection even thought without
> complaint.
>
> That makes me confusing.

poff: Disconnects you from dialup/dsl IF AND ONLY IF you are only
      connected to one ISP once.
pon:  Connects you to dialup.
      You _might_ be able to get it to do DSL by:

      # ln -s /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider /etc/ppp/peers/provider

poff ds-provider: Disconnects a DS provider.
pon  ds-provider:    Connects a DS provider. Is there such a thing?

poff dsl-provider: Disconnects a DSL provider.
pon  dsl-provider:    Connects a DSL provider.

That is how it Should Work. As I don't personally use it, I might be
forgetting to tell you about relevant bugs (but search the BTS -
bugs.debian.org).

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER