Re: Suggestions Invited

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 22:48, Robert Brinson wrote:
> Currently, I am a Gentoo Linux user. It is a great distribution for
> people who want fine control over their system. I enjoy being able to
> just emerge whatever_program. However, I am getting a little tired of
> having to compile every little obscure library for a point update. So,
> I guess you could say I'm in the market for a new distro.
>
> I have used Red Hat (not Fedora), Mandrake, and Gentoo. Of all of
> them, I enjoy the control I have with Gentoo. I guess I'm looking for
> a distro that will allow me to obtain the latest xorg or gnome or
> firefox without having to go through a three hour compile session. RPM
> is not suitable for this, as I know from experience. Red Hat and
> Mandrake are very picky about dependencies making an upgrade of gnome or
> kde nearly impossible. One ends up in the RPM equivalent of dll hell.
> apt-get seems well suited for my needs. That is why I am posting to this
> debian list. However, when I browsed the package repositories on
> debian.org, I was disappointed. The stable repository is woefully out of
> date. The latest unstable gnome is version 2.6, and xorg is not even
> listed. Is it possible to easily have a debian install with the latest
> gnome 2.8 and xorg 6.8.1? I did see a debian-based distro called ubuntu
> that has gnome 2.8 out of the box. However, their faq says that one
> should not mix mainstream debian debs with ubuntu debs. So, that distro
> would preclude me from taking advantage of all of the packages in the
> debian repository. So, does anyone have advice for this situation? Am I
> asking the impossible of the current state of debian?
>
> Thanks for any insight.
>
> Robert Brinson
>
> "The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go
> fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." –
> John Gierach

Hi,

Do you really need gnome 2.8 right now? Is it really stable and good? (I don't
know. I'm using XFCE).

Is it worth using Debian with Gnome 2.6 or rather another distro with Gnome
2.8? I would say it really depends on your priorities and your actual needs.
If you don't really need Gnome 2.8 right now, then wait until 2.8 is ready,
but enjoy Debian from now on!

...And if you _really_ need Gnome 2.8, then: install Debian, go fishing ;-)
and come back when Gnome 2.8 is available as a .deb package!

Have fun whatever you choose.
Sylvain.

--
wxWidgets config: WX 2.4.2 / GTK 2 / gcc 3.3.3

La lingvo internacia: http://uea.org/index.html