Re: How to have X not start at boot?

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 09:13:55PM -0400, JoeHill wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> *Very* new Debian user here, first install ever, though I was surprised at how
> easy it was, even though I chose to install from floppies over the internet.
> That's pretty cool!
>
> Anyhow, stupid question number one: I would like to have the system boot to a
> text mode login, but I cannot find where to make the change in any of the system
> administration tools. I plan to (try) to admin the system in text mode via SSH
> primarily, so the only thing I want the X server for is to eventually set up a
> VNC connection with a nice light WM (this machine is a P100 w/ 64MB RAM...)
>
> Thanks.

~ %% cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager
/bin/false
~ %%

Does the trick for me.

* BUT *

If you only want VNC:

apt-get remove xserver-xfree86
apt-get install vncserver

Without xserver-xfree86, you CANT have an Xserver start on the monitor.
Xvnc (the program provided by vncserver) doesn't need xserver-xfree86.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER