Re: ATI 3D acceleleration and dpkg-divert

On Monday 20 September 2004 06:30, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> (WW) fglrx(0): Kernel Module version does *not* match driver.

The "DRM" must be compiled against the kernel. There will be a means of
telling the make which kernel and which module(s) to make.

First, untar the kernel source.
Create a "linux" symlink from the /usr/src to the kernel source head
directory.
Then, copy the system config from boot to the linux src folder as .config.
make oldconfig.
Then, start the kernel compile. Make is enough. You do not have to go through
the whole mess. Once it starts doing CC compilations, you can stop it. What
this does is makes sure all the .h files are where they are needed.
Now compile the DRM--you may need to give it the path the the linux src
folder.
Finally, copy the resulting  .ko file to the appropriate /lib/modules/ .....
folder. Reboot.

A good WIKI can be found here:
http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Building#head-08d485086c70c4b931535491f1ccad21181d731f

I used the DRM from this CVS for my ATI rage pro mach64 card but the
instructions should be similar for a different source such as flgr. The "make
World" from this CVS would not compile successfully but apparently was not
needed--stuff from Sid was enough.