Re: Keyboard occasionally nonresponsive on bootup with Debian Sid

Thanks for your suggestions:

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 03:30:52PM -0700, Stefan O'Rear wrote:
> To enter text into the terminal, open up a file using your destop (like
> say /etc/passwd), select one letter, then middle click in the terminal.
> Will be slow, should work.

The problem with this is that I need to login before I can open a
terminal, and the keyboard is nonfunctional from the start.  I use gdm as
login manager.  I suppose I could configure it to auto-login to
troubleshoot this problem, but I'd rather not eliminate password
authentication as a condition of using the machine.

> Perhaps your X server is improperly configured, and depending one what
> keys you press after bootup, it sometimes misdetects your keyboard type?

Hmm.  I'm fairly certain the keyboard fails to work when I haven't
pressed any keys yet (not even 'return' to select the kernel in GRUB--it
usually just picks the first one after 5 seconds).  I can't for the life
of me think of what would make it occur only occasionally, though.

> can you Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace the server?

Nope, ctrl-alt-backspace is as nonfunctional as ctrl-alt-del.
--
Adam Rosi-Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org