Re: minimal installation questions

Pepper Orlando wrote:
Hi, I'm new to Debian, I'm coming from the bloated world of RedHat. Basiclly, I'm interested in using debian to run a very basic web surfing machine. I would like to use a fanless VIA EPIA motherboard and keep a very minimal install of Debian on a CompactFlash card interfaced via an IDE-to-CF adapter.

I would like to know if it's even possible to make a very minimal Debian + XFree86 + Mozilla install. If it is, then how do I go about removing certain unneeded packages that are installed by default? Right now my test machine is running a base install of Sarge (I quit out of the package chooser after the installer installed just the basics) plus enough packages to make XFree86 and Mozilla work (I am using the generic VESA driver for 1024x768, it seems to be fast enough). Even doing just this seems to take up about 235 MB according to df -h. I'm guessing there's far more installed than I really need.

Thanks in advance for any help with this matter.

After doing a minimal install, do *not* run tasksel or anything; instead, install aptitude ( `apt-get install aptitude` )

Find in the man page of aptitude how to configure it only to install packages that are required as dependence for packages you need; It says,

      -R, --without-recommends
Do not treat recommendations as dependencies when installing new packages (this overrides settings in /etc/apt/apt.conf and
              ~/.aptitude/config).

This corresponds to the configuration option Aptitude::Recom-
              mends-Important

I have no experience in changing stuff in /etc/apt/apt.conf though

run `aptitude` and mark all in 'libs', 'oldlibs' and `interpreters` by selecting that section (under 'installed') and hitting shift-M Then do the installation of X; there is a package called x-window-system-core ; install that, mozilla-browser, mozilla-psm, mozilla-xft (for nice fonts!) and mozilla-mailnews (if you also want to mail using mozilla), and your favorite window manager (say, windowmaker or fluxbox, do *not* install gnome or kde those are HUGE) , you can select them in the aptitude program, search by hitting /

That should be about it (I think)

HTH,

Joris