minimal installation questions

Hi, I'm new to Debian, I'm coming from the bloated world of RedHat. Basiclly, I'm interested in using debian to run a very basic web surfing machine. I would like to use a fanless VIA EPIA motherboard and keep a very minimal install of Debian on a CompactFlash card interfaced via an IDE-to-CF adapter.

I would like to know if it's even possible to make a very minimal Debian + XFree86 + Mozilla install. If it is, then how do I go about removing certain unneeded packages that are installed by default? Right now my test machine is running a base install of Sarge (I quit out of the package chooser after the installer installed just the basics) plus enough packages to make XFree86 and Mozilla work (I am using the generic VESA driver for 1024x768, it seems to be fast enough). Even doing just this seems to take up about 235 MB according to df -h. I'm guessing there's far more installed than I really need.

Thanks in advance for any help with this matter.