-1 Unknown symbol in module

Haven't used modules before - seem fairly simple, but as usual for
me the first go presents a problem.

Using #insmod <full path to lib/modules/2.6.7-1-386 etc>
presents the subject error.

Running 'depmod -a' shows no errors, but then using 'modprobe'
results in the error 'module '..........' not found'.

I presume that if I select an incorrect module (which I don't think
I have), the module would get loaded but of course wouldn't work
with the hardware.

What am I doing wrong, and what does the error from 'insmod' mean.

Thanks,      John.