Re: Bootloader for Sarge - partitions

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, William Ballard wrote:

> I know what the reasons are for using seperate partitions,
> but I just can't bother.  Linux isn't Unix, it's closer to
> being Windows than it is Unix.  It's a crummy desktop O/S on
> commodity Intel whiteboxes.
>
> Just use one big giant / part and back up your data.  Who cares
> about system files.  Get over yourself :-)

making 1-giant partition makes it look like windoze, and will suffer
from the same fate

use 1 partion for everything if none of the major reasons is important
to your box ...
	- single user mode to fix any problem that comes up
	- race conditions in /tmp /usr/tmp /var/tmp
	- execution of binaries from /tmp
	1024 cylinders
	- fast backup of your system
	- fast restore of your system
	- fast updating of system
	- hot swap of a new system to replace the simulated disk failure
	- overall reliability
	- keep the system files/partitions small for faster
		read/writes/seeks
	- on...and...on ..

	- all of the above will raise itself and be a pain in the butt
	when you have to fix things in the middle of your sleep time
		- untill than ... its ( proper partitions ) a non-issue

on the other hand ... if you use multiple (too small) partitions
	- you'll have major problems with incomplete packages
	- systems that prevent you from loggging in
	- few other annoyances that is trivial to prevent

making the partitions too big will put you back to the giant partition
problems
	- /boot should NOT be a separate partition
	- /tmp should ALWAYS be a separate partition
	- /home should always be the "rest of the disk"

	- /var should be whatever you want for your
	mail spool or http logs or and your installed packges and ???
	( 1G is plenty for most )

	- all user defined changes and installed apps are in /home/...
	which typically installs into /usr/local
	( move /usr/local to /home/local )

	- on and on ...

c ya
alvin