Re: Adding a kernel module - to get iptables to work.

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:39:33 +0100, Dr. David Kirkby
<drkirkby@medphys.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>     I'm trying to get iptables working on a x86 PC running 3.0r2. I now

[...]

> I've since updated the kernel to 2.4.19, but have not touched the
> iptables, which I got as a package. I did enable support for modules
> when I built the kernel.
>
> I assume I need to load a module into the kernel, but are not sure if I
> load it with 'modload', whether I need to rebuild the kernel again, or
> whether I should remove the iptables package and download the source for
> iptables.
>
> I'm a linux newbie. I've probably administered a linux system for a
> total of about 8 hours. I do however know UNIX quite well, having a good
> knowledge of Solaris, and have systems at home running other versions of
> UNIX (AIX, tru64, HP-UX and IRIX) which I occasionally use for testing
> the portability of software.

You use the "modprobe" command to load kernel modules (IIRC modprobe
is a wrapper to insmod, but usually modules use to have dependencies
on other modules so better use modprobe), you should have the
"modutils" (or "module-init-tools") package installed.

The "iptables" package has tools for iptables administration, so you
probably better leave it installed.

Andrea