Re: DHCP Question

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 09:07:51PM -0400, Michael Marsh wrote:
> You can also apparently specify "hwaddress" in the stanzas (once you know
> them), so that you can autoload the modules and have eth0 and eth1 assigned
> consistently.  I would guess that's the point of having hwaddress.  It
> would look
> something like:
>
>      hwaddress ether 01:23:45:67:89:AB

I've got a similar problem when I use my laptop with my docking
station.  My laptop has a PCMCIA wireless card.  The docking station
has an ethernet port.  When the laptop is docked, the ethernet port
gets priority and I only get networking via the ethernet port.

When the laptop is not docked, the PCMCIA card is configured as eth0
and networking works.

I would like the PCMCIA card to always be bound to eth0, so I added a
hwaddressline to /etc/network/interfaces:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
        hwaddress ether 00:50:8B:46:28:6F

Now when the laptop is docked, dhclient runs during boot, but it fails
(DHCPDISCOVER, DHCPDISCOVER, ..., No DHCPOFFERS received).  Shortly
thereafter, PCMCIA services comes up, recognizing the card, but
networking doesn't work.

Anyone know what'd I'd have to do to get the PCMCIA card to work while
the laptop is docked?

Thanks,

Jason