Re: Copying partitions on same disk

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 00:15 -0400, Prashant Kumar wrote:
> How do  copy my / containing directory root boot tmp bin
> proc etc to a different partition of same disk.
>
> I used dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sda4 but it seems to "hang".
>
> cp -up could not handle /tmp correctly

Try probably dd hangs because it copies information with a very small
buffer - try appending bs=2048k for example. For cp try '-avx' - this
should do the job:

mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/atmpdisk
cd /
cp -avx . /mnt/atmpdisk

If you wish to copy a live partition - this is the way. If you can
afford to get offline for some time - boot a live cd distro (knoppix or
SystemRescueCD http://www.sysresccd.org/ ) and use partimage for the
copying.

--
Martin Spasov <mspasov@techno-link.com>