Re: -1 Unknown symbol in module

Michael Marsh wrote:
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:44:06 +0100, john gennard <joney@clara.co.uk> wrote:

What am I doing wrong, and what does the error from 'insmod' mean.

Generally, if you've just installed a new module you should run
"depmod -a".  Ideally
this will be in one of your system start-up scripts, so there's a good
chance you won't
need to do this.  If the module dependencies are built, then using
"modprobe <module name>" should load it in along with the dependencies.
This is preferable to "insmod <module name>", which doesn't do the
same dependency
resolution.  Also, you shouldn't use the full path or the .o extension.
I followed O'Reilly - tried 'insmod' and as unsuccessful, built a database with  'depmod -a'.
'modules.dep' showed there were dependencies, so I used 'modprobe' which I understood
should  find and install the dependencies. O'Reilly says I should use the full path - is this a
recent change?
If you still have problems, send the complete error message.  It'll
usually include
the symbols that weren't resolved.  It might be that you need to install another
module.
I don't get any more detail in the error messages:-
    modprobe <full path>                says file not found.
    modprobe <atmel>                    gives no output, merely returns to the prompt

What I didn't mention is that this install is Sarge (fully updated and upgraded) then
upgraded to the current position of Unstable. I used wvdial and my dial up modem
connection to my ISP for all the net access. I have made no changes or configurations
(except wvdial, a user and given the user permissions for dip and dialout etc).

Modules.dep shows the following two dependencies on the module I want to load:-
 /lib/modules/2.6.7-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/atmel.ko:
 /lib/modules/2.6.7-1-386/kernel/drivers/base/firmware_class.ko
 /lib/modules/2.6.7-1-386/kernel/lib/crc32.ko

A number of people have said they are using the same Wireless Adaptor 'without
any problems'.

Could my problem be one of paths, I wonder.

Thanks for your response.

John.