Re: New sarge install trying to find modules

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 15:08, you wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 20:47, Justin Guerin wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 September 2004 13:24, Glyn Tebbutt wrote:
> > > Hi All
> > > I've just recently (about 2weeks ago) setup debian in replacement to
> > > gentoo, on my main workstation. The installer was really smooth, so
> > > smooth i didn't realise it was done and now i have a fully configured
> > > and setup system. Everything working. But i've got a slight
> > > annoyance, it doesn't stop the computer from functioning its just a
> > > pain. To start with, i've compiled my own kernel, with the src's from
> > > kernel.org (it's just the way i do thing's, added my own patches etc)
> > > which works fine but on boot something is getting called, i've
> > > checked the udev configs and hotplug, which is trying to find
> > > forcedeth (my nic) and various other modules. All for my hardware but
> > > this is from when i was using 2.4 which is the default on the
> > > install. As i've compiled all these into the kernel, it just errors,
> > > everything keeps booting, but i'd still like to know the config for
> > > this calling is. If anyone knows it would be great to let me know.
> > > Google also hasn't popped anything up
> > > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Three ideas come to mind.  First, you could get rid of hotplug, but you
> > probably don't want that.  Second, you could recompile your kernel to
> > make those into modules, instead of compiled in.  But the best solution
> > (perhaps?) is to edit /etc/modules and remove the offending, no longer
> > needed entries.  Then bootup won't attempt to load them.
> >
> > Hope that helps,
> >
> > Justin Guerin
>
> Hi
> Thanks very much for the reply. I've checked /etc/modules all i have is
> fglrx, which is for my ati card. I can't think where else the problems
> can be? i think i might do as you said and recompile the kernel as
> modules :)
> Thanks again

Check and see if you have the discover / discover2 package installed.  If it
is, you could add forcedeth et. al. to the blacklist.  I'm not sure hotplug
has a blacklist, but if it does, you could try blacklisting the modules
there, too.

I think there are other tools that try to detect and configure hardware.
Make sure you don't have any of them installed (unless you want them).  I'm
sorry I don't remember what they are, but I'm sure someone on this list
does.

Justin Guerin