Re: Installations problem

Hello

Asim Jamshed (<asim.jamshed@gmail.com>) wrote:

> I just installed Debian Linux on my PC. This is my first experience
> with Linux. Understandably, I faced a lot of problems :). I had
> downloaded the debian v3 release 2 which comes on 7 CDs(Woody). On
> installation, by default, the kernel installed was version 2.2. I
> tried to upgrade it to v2.4 using dselect. The system asked me to
> insert CD 3 of the Debian distribution. On inserting the right CD, it
> again prompted the same inquiry. The CD 3 reads fine as I've already
> tested it out. Can you kindly tell me what might the problem be?

Several possibilities. Did you switch to ide-scsi emulation after
installation? Does installing from other CDs work?

Try to create /etc/apt/apt.conf

and add

Acquire::cdrom::mount "/cdrom";

Now make sure the entry in /etc/fstab entry uses the correct device
file, so that

mount /cdrom

works.

best regards