Re: Adding New Programs

David,
sounds like your in KDE, so the first problem is pretty simple.  if
you right click next to the K menu icon on the taskbar a set of
options comes up, including "menu editor" choose this.  it will show
you a list of the items found in the K menu, in the same arrangement
they are found normally, for your convenience.   under file here you
can choose to add a submenu or an item.   when you add or select an
existing item to modify the right side of the dialog becomes active,
you can map the path to the executable if need be and pick out an icon
that works for you. you can drag anything from the k menu to the panel
to leave a little shortcut.

i gave up on kmail a while back and have been using ximian evolution,
so i am not really sure about your second question

clifton