Re: Adding New Programs

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, David Snyder wrote:

> I've been using Debian Linux for about 1 week and love it.  I'm still trying
> to learn the ropes and have been successful in getting many things
> accomplished.  Getting closer to kissing Windows GOODBYE.
>
> I have 2 questions and have looked at numerous web sites for answers.
> 1.  I figured out how to add new packaged with apt-get install since I didn't

You could also try aptitude, either from the command line line apt-get or
just run aptitude and it has a text interface. There is also a gui
interface either synaptic or gnome-apt (no experience with either).

> install everything I needed initially.  What I haven't been able to figure
> our is how to add these to the desktop or desktop panel.  For example, I
> installed Mozilla and was able to lauch this via the command line but lost
> when attempting to add to the panel.  How is this done?  I'm sure it's easy
> but for some reason I haven't been able to figure it out.

It should be added automatically to the menus (at least when you
logout/login, probably depending on the window-manager).

Make sure that the menu package is installed.

>From the next question I am guessing that you are using kde, (if not,
then which one?), in that case, once the program appears on the menu you
can drag it to the panel IIRC. You probably also have an option when right
clicking on the panel or through the kde control center (kontrol I think)
to add a launcher manually (probably won't get the icon automatically
though).

> 2.  I'm using Kontact for my email, calendar, notes, etc.  I like to spell
> check emails before I send, however, I get an error saying ISpell/Aspell
> could not start, be sure to add it to your path.  Is this the path
> in /etc/profile?

It should be on the path, but its probably not installed. Try installing
either aspell (usually better but sometimes gives too many options) or
ispell, and make sure you also install the matching dictionaries (it will
should require at least the basic ones, do apt-cache show aspell and
apt-cache show aspell under dependecies there are the dictionaries.