Re: bash completion does not work over ssh except as root

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 06:37:44PM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> Dear People,
>
> I have noticed that bash completion only works on a remote machine I have
> sshed into, if I log in as root. This is obviously a case of something not
> being sourced correctly, but I am not sure what the problem is.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to solve this, or if not, confirm the problem?
> I use bash completion heavily so it is an annoying bug.
>
> I have this in .bash_profile on both the remote and local machines, but it
> does not solve the problem.

> # ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash(1) for login shells.
> # see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples.
> # the files are located in the bash-doc package.
>
> umask 022
>
> # the rest of this file is commented out.
>
> # include .bashrc if it exists
>
> if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
>     source ~/.bashrc
> fi
>
> I'm tracking Sarge. Please cc me, I'm not subscribed. Thanks.

-- BEGIN DATA BLOCK --
# enable bash completion in interactive shells

if [ "$PS1" -a -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
    . /etc/bash_completion
fi
--  END DATA BLOCK  --

You need that or the equivilent in /etc/bash.bashrc or ~/.bashrc (it is
commented out by default in Woody).

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER