Re: Soundblaster Live! 5.1 blacklisted

Hello

John M Flinchbaugh (<glynis@butterfly.hjsoft.com>) wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 09:44:53AM +0300, David Baron wrote:
>> There is a bug in current kernels / alsa -- you may have to check
>> this everytime you boot up. Hope they fix it soon.
>
> i've not looked it up, but i think the bug comes from letting hotplug
> load the sound modules, and they're not getting loaded in time for
> /etc/init.d/alsa to restore the volume levels, so that fails leaving
> them down.
>
> i added the main alsa module for my card to /etc/modules to make sure
> it gets loaded in time.

The alsa configuration sets up aliases in /etc/modutils
or /etc/modprobe.d, so the modules should be loaded as soon as an app
tries to access the device. I don't have hotplug installed, and I don't
load any sound modules through /etc/modules, and yet setting the volume
from /etc/init.d/alsa works, and the driver modules are loaded when
needed.

The following file can be generated by using alsaconf. My card could be
autodetected, but of course you can also create the file yourself if
you know which driver to use:

andreas@sirius:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

If autoloading does not work and you use Sarge or Sid with kernel 2.6,
update to the latest version of module-init-tools and
remove /etc/modprobe.conf. The configuration is now read directly
from /etc/modprobe.d, however some versions of module-init-tools
pretended to use this new system and did not create /etc/modprobe.conf
from /etc/modprobe.d anymore, but yet they ignored /etc/modprobe.d
if /etc/modprobe.conf was there. This nearly drove me insane until I
discovered it was a known bug.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270