Re: Soundcard Support???

> If they are then try checking out the advanced options in the alsa
> mixer. For some reason on my audigy the default setting was to enable
> only the digital output giving the false impression that sound was
> boned.

Out of curiosity, which mixer are you using that actually lets you toggle the
digital output?  My problem is the opposite.  I'm using the digital out, but
none of the litany of mixers included with Debian seem to be able to control
the thing effectively.  Especially for the purpose of managing
recording/playback sources in a home studio setting.

I've found joy with something called QAMix/KAMix, but it's not included with
Debian, so it's not a viable alternative to offer to Joe Newbie.

Anyway, since you have an Audigy, I'd be really interested in hearing how
you've gotten along with it.  I've chosen the emu10k1 as my "if all else
fails, go buy one of these and do what I did" example, but I've only got a
cheap Value Edition, and I have no idea how the game might change if I had
something with a breakout box and all the extra little doohickies on it.

In the short term, I'm writing an extensive tutorial for Rosegarden.  In the
medium to long term, I'm piddling with a new mixer/soundfont loader dedicated
to the emu10k1 series cards that presents the controls I need, and hides all
the mysterious, useless things like "IEC958 Optical Raw Playback" from my
sight.  This presents a real problem if I leave out something that's useful
to someone else though, so I'd really love to hear about your own experiences
using your mixer on your Audigy, with whatever application you prefer.  At
this point all I have are pencil drawings and some very preliminary GUI code
that isn't hooked up to do anything yet (or even buildable).  It would be a
good time to introduce new lines of thinking, while I can still get it right
the first time.

In particular, since you *don't* use the digital playback, does the Master
volume control work?  On mine, it does not.

I don't necessarily want to write a mixer that's everything to everyone, but I
think the emu10k1 cards are a really decent all-around solution for people
looking to upgrade from the ubiquitous crap audio-only soundcards that
predominate

I'm sort of rambling here, so forgive me.  Thanks for anything you have to
share.

For the curious, I have a (very unofficial) deb of KAMix (binary renamed
kqamix to avoid conflicts with the unofficial kamix (different app) packages
I've seen; built against Sid) here  (Q/KAMix comes from SuSE originally, I
think.  I needs a lot of help to build for Debian.):

http://users.adelphia.net/~silvan/kqamix_0.0.7e-1_i386.deb

The thing I have in mind is intended to work as well as KAMix on this
hardware, but it won't have the .xml configurability, won't (necessarily)
work on anything except the emu10k1, and it will (hopefuly) be seriously cool
looking.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/