apt-get distupgrade wants to remove my whole system

I'm running testing and have been happily for the last few months. No
real problems, updating every few days by doing an apt-get
distupgrade, yesterday I saw the package upgrade-system in the
available list and decided to install it. I installed and ran it, it
said it wanted to downgrade 20 packages and remove over a thousand,
including 20 essentials, such as apt. since then no matter what apt
frontend - apt-get, aptitude, synaptic, they all want to remove
essentially my entire system. I've tried runnning dpkg
--forget-available and re-updating my package lists a few times but
they always want to remove everything. Has something changed on the
servers? or is it the upgrade-system command that has messed up my
system?
How can I stop this?
Is my only option to allow it to remove everything and then reinstall?