Re: Gnome XDMCP on server

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:37:17 +0200, Rado Rethmann
<discussion@centermail.net> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm using cygwin-X on my WinXP-Box to access the Gnome-Desktop (2.6) on my
> Debian-Sarge-Server (Kernel 2.6.7) over XDMCP.
> My problem is that GDM has to be up and running to login via XDMCP (then
> it works perfectly well).
> But - as servers are - I don't have a mouse, keyboard or monitor connected
> to my server. So GDM crashes after some trying.
> Is there a way to configure GDM or Xfree86 in any way not to search for a
> mouse (that's the hanger I guess) ?

In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
Section "ServerFlags"
    AllowMouseOpenFail
EndSection

> Or - even better - is there a way to configure GDM for XDMCP not fireing
> up a local X-Server ?
>
> I know there is a thing called X over SSH, but I have many problems to
> make it work (can't start Synaptic, always get memory errors, can start
> gnome-session but after that I can't start any prog from Gnome-desktop
> + many many more issues) and I want to use XDMCP in my personal network
> only.
I'm not sure about synaptic (does it have to be run as root? if so try
investigating xauth to go along), but normally if you've got a working
X-server on your local machine and you'd like to run an X-client
program from a remote machine you should be able to do so provided you
have appropriate permissions.

--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@gmail.com