Re: Fontconfig bitmapped font's origin

Hello.

Shot:

> Is there a way to check which exactly file in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
> is being used as the Fixed font? I believe I could copy that file to my
> ~/.fonts/ directory, keep the other bitmapped fonts turned off, and have
> the best of both worlds...

Ok, so maybe using the ugliest method possible, but I solved it. :o)
I grepped the not-gzip files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ for "Fixed":

for file in `find /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts | grep -v gz$`; do grep Fixed $file; done

and found out that the files which are later aliased as Fixed are those
in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/ that start with a digit. I copied all
of these files to ~/.fonts/, rerun `dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig` and
told it not to use bitmapped fonts (thus commenting out the line with
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts in /etc/fonts/local.conf), et voila - Galeon
renders everything in pretty antialiased type, while I can use the
"Fixed 9" font in my gnome-terminal. I did the Unicode text[1] and
Fixed seems to cover Unicode quite nicely.

[1] http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/debian-utf8/HOWTO/download/UTF-8-demo.txt.gz

Cheers,
-- Shot (Piotr Szotkowski)
--
       The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do.
                             ~~~ B. F. Skinner ~~~

                                                     http://shot.pl/hovercraft/