Strange nss-ldap auth failure

Hi,

I just did a dist-upgrade to sarge today. I can login as root (obviously) and su to an account via libnss-ldap, but if I try to su from any normal user to any other (or the same) user who has their account defined in ldap, the authentication fails.

Also, I have other debian linux systems that auth against the same ldap server without trouble. I've gone to the trouble of installing libpam-ldap on this system, and that works as well as account names in ls -l listings.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 3.1
 APT prefers testing
 APT policy: (7221, 'testing'), (711, 'unstable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Kernel: Linux 2.6.7-1-686
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C

Versions of packages libnss-ldap depends on:
ii debconf 1.4.30.2 Debian configuration management sy ii libc6 2.3.2.ds1-13 GNU C Library: Shared libraries an ii libdb4.2 4.2.52-17 Berkeley v4.2 Database Libraries [
ii  libkrb53                    1.3.4-3      MIT Kerberos runtime libraries
ii  libldap2                    2.1.30-3     OpenLDAP libraries

-- debconf information:
* libnss-ldap/dblogin: false
 libnss-ldap/override: true
* shared/ldapns/base-dn: dc=matchmail, dc=com
* shared/ldapns/ldap-server: ldap
* libnss-ldap/confperm: false
* shared/ldapns/ldap_version: 3
 libnss-ldap/binddn: cn=proxyuser,dc=example,dc=net
* libnss-ldap/nsswitch: