Re: file/dir rights management

Martin Henne wrote:

> On my system I want to keep users from
> browsing the '/home' directory. Unfortunately,
> when I do a 'chmod o-r /home', the user
> can't login via ftp anymore.

Hi Martin (I'm BCC-ing you since your email was anti-spam munged),

Stefan already addressed your main question, so this is a little
off-topic.  But if you are concerned about security, you should be much
more worried about the fact that you are permitting user logins by FTP
than that the users can read some files in /etc.  Are you aware that FTP
transmits passwords over the 'net without encryption, so anyone snooping
on the connection could steal them?

I suggest SFTP as an alternative -- it unfortunately isn't as featureful
as some FTP clients, but at least it will encrypt passwords.

[If you are only using FTP on a closed trusted LAN, of course, I
withdraw the comment.]

GPG public key ID: 4F83C751                 Princeton, NJ 08544