Samba slowdown - hosts.deny responsible?

I've just been migrating my other Linux boxes over to NFS, instead of samba, for mounting their remote drives from the Debian. Got it all working perfectly after I managed to lock myself out of SSH - d'oh! Thought the machine had died, and ruined my 130 day uptime. Oh well.

But now I'm noticing that transfers from the windows box (lots of movie renders going up) are about half the speed they used to be, and am wondering if some of my entries in hosts.deny and .allow might be responsible. I followed the basics of the NFS Howto here http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ and ended up with these:

/etc/hosts.allow
portmap: hostip1 hostip2
statd: hostip1 hostip2
moutnd: hostip1 hostip2
lockd: hostip1 hostip2
rquotad: hostip1 hostip2

/etc/hosts.deny
portmap:ALL EXCEPT hostip1 , hostip2 , office
lockd:ALL EXCEPT hostip1 , hostip2 , office
mountd:ALL EXCEPT hostip1 , hostip2 , office
rquotad:ALL EXCEPT hostip1 , hostip2 , office
statd:ALL EXCEPT hostip1 , hostip2 , office
ALL:ALL EXCEPT hostip1 , hostip2 , office

Where hostipX corresponds to an IP address of one of my LAN boxes. I was also under the impression that hosts.allow was checked first, but nothing would work unless I used the EXCEPT clause in hosts.deny.

Could this be the cause of my network performance problem? Do I need to add a clause for smbd, nmbd and all the other daemons I have running?

I've tried googling for this, but I got hundreds of results about all manner of networking problems that didn't sound like wot I got. I'm fairly new to the Linux way of networking stuff (I cut my teeth on Linux with Samba, and always used the inbuilt hosts allow/deny options there), so I'm probably asking the wrong questions. Any help or educational flames much appreciated!