Re: Network Connection Question

----- Original Message -----
From: ccgiusj@sbcglobal.net <ccgius@sbcglobal.net>

I am a recent convert to Debian.   I have installed Debian in my old
computer i386 machine (Configuration given below)
I would like to know if there is a way I can have this macine to
identlify the network and the ip address.   I have DSL Internet
connection - I have a DSL Modem and a 4 port Linksys Router.  I have 2
computer connecting to this Router - One running Windows XP and the
other Debian.   My question is
1.   How to have it identify the Network connection?
2.   Can I have it work as a firewall and a router - the DSL Modem
connecting directly to the server.?

I have a mouse which connects to the USB Port - but its also not being
identified by the X Window.

What commands I need to execute?   Need some help.

AARON ROY

1) Should just run dhcpd daemon and it will pick up the ip address. If
you don't have it started run
dpkg-reconfigure dhcp (may have a d on the end)
and choose to start it at boot.

2) You can. You will need two nic cards and set up the firewall and
routing. But why do you want to do that when you have a hardware
router with a built-in firewall?  But, then again, it's always good to
learn.

James