Network Connection Question

Hello All

I am a beginner in Linux using Debian.   I have installed Debian in my old computer i386 machine (Configuration given below)
I would like to know if there is a way I can have this macine to identlify the network and the ip address.   I have DSL Internet connection - I have a DSL Modem and a 4 port Linksys Router.  I have 2 computer connecting to this Router - One running Windows XP and the other Debian.   I have these following questions

1.   How to have it identify the Network connection?
2.   Can I have it work as a firewall and a router - the DSL Modem connecting directly to the server.?
3.   How to set the Time and Date?
4    I have a mouse which connects to the USB Port - but its also not being identified by the X Window.

What commands I need to execute?   Need some help.

Thanks & Regards,

AARON ROY

ORIGINAL Configuration:

Intel® Celeron? 366MHz (w/128KB Cache) PPGA CPU
32MB SyncDRAM (up to 256 MB)
2 USB Ports (1 is on Front)
1 Serial / 1 Parallel / 3 Expansion Slot
Audio In & Out / Game Port on Front
Internet Ready
Microsoft Works
ATI Rage Pro Turbo 2X AGP with 4MB SGRAM
Crystal CS4280 3D PCI Audio
40x Max. CD-ROM Drive
4.3GB HDD (Ultra DMA EIDE)   [ADDED 30 GB NEW HDD]
3.5" 1.44MB FDD
56K* ITU V.90 PCI Fax/Modem
PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse
Stereo Speakers