Re: Network Connection Question

begin  quotation of ccgiusj@sbcglobal.net on 2004-09-06 22:31:58 -0500:

> I would like to know if there is a way I can have this macine to
> identlify the network and the ip address.  I have DSL Internet
> connection - I have a DSL Modem and a 4 port Linksys Router.  I have
> 2 computer connecting to this Router - One running Windows XP and
> the other Debian.  I have these following questions
>
> 1.   How to have it identify the Network connection?

You'll probably want to use DHCP to have your Linksys router give it
an IP address.  Run 'man interfaces' to find the correct format to
automatically enable your network connection to pick up a DHCP address
on boot.

> 2.   Can I have it work as a firewall and a router - the DSL Modem
>      connecting directly to the server.?

Yes.  You'll need two network cards in the Debian machine - one to
hook into the DSL modem and the other to connect to the rest of the
network.

If you already have a Linksys router (and by this I assume you mean
one of those Cable/DSL routers and not a switch/hub), you may not gain
a whole lot of benefit from this type of setup.

> 3.   How to set the Time and Date?

See 'man tzconfig' to select your time zone.  If you are connected to
the internet, install package 'ntp-simple' ('apt-get install
ntp-simple') to have your time and date automatically updated.

> 4.  I have a mouse which connects to the USB Port - but its also not
>     being identified by the X Window.

'man dexconf'